Dr. William Roberts from the Baylor Heart and Vasclar Institute moderated the topic "Alcohol Ablation or Ventricular Septal Myotomy/Myectomy for Severe Obstructive Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy?" with Drs. Joseph Dearani from the Mayo Clinic and Barry Maron from the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Center at the Minneapolis Heart Institute participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HC) and prevalence of left ventricular outflow obstruction,
(2) therapeutic plan for patients with HC, including beta blocker therapy, alcohol ablation and surgical myectomy,
(3) gradients for determining suitability for surgery,
(4) technique of performing surgical myectomy,
(5) post-surgical follow-up patient care,
(6) effectiveness of myectomy surgery on patient quality of life,
(7) considerations for using alcohol septal ablation, and
(8) probability of installing an ICD post surgery.