Dr. James Dalen from the University of Arizona moderated the topic "Are Alternative Medical Therapies of Any Benefit in Patients with Heart Disease?" with Drs. Stephen Devries from Northwestern University, Michael Davidson from the University of Chicago and Gulshan Sethi from University of Arizona participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) integrative approaches to heart failure therapy,
(2) physician-patient discussion regarding supplements, nutrition, and physical activity
(3) use of plant based stanols and sterols,
(4) alternative therapies for patients undergoing cardiac surgery, including, guided imagery, massage, meditation and yoga,
(5) oxidative stress and the effectiveness of antioxidant supplements,