Dr. James Dalen from the University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ moderated the topic "Aspirin for the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease" with Drs. Charles Hennekens from Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL, and Samia Mora from Harvard University, Boston, MA.
The discussion focused primarily on:
- 1) Randomized trials of aspirin in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease as well as their meta-analyses;
- 2) identifying the patients that can benefit from using aspirin as a primary preventive measure;
- 3) a discussion on the optimal dose of aspirin in primary prevention;
- 4) the need to assess total cardiovascular risk which includes age and gender in the individual clinical judgment about whether a patient should use aspirin for primary prevention.
- (Med Roundtable Gen Med Ed. 2012;1(1):59–65.) ©2012 FoxP2 Media, LLC