Dr. James Scheuer from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore Medical Center moderated the topic "Is Cardiac Hypertrophy Compensatory or Harmful?" with Drs. Richard B. Devereux from the Weill Cornell Medical College and David Kass from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) patterns of hypertrophy: concentric versus eccentric;
(2) risks of hypertrophy;
(3) special populations;
(4) sensitivity of echocardiography compared to electrocardiography in detecting left ventricular hypertrophy;
(5) hypertrophy studies in animals;
(6) regression of hypertrophy; and
(7) the use of antihypertensives and direct vasodilators to reduce left ventricular mass.