Dr. William B. White from the University of Connecticut School of Medicine moderated the topic "Cardiovascular effects of NSAIDS" with Drs. Michael E. Farkouh from the University of Toronto and Gary Williams from the Scripps Clinic participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) the use of NSAIDS in present clinical practice,
(2) an overview of the guideline recommendations from various societies for the treatment of arthritis and osteoarthritis,
(3) the considerations surrounding patients who change their choice of NSAID,
(4) patients having osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and co-existing cardiovascular disorders,
(5) prevalence of osteoarthritis and obesity in United States population,
(6) effects of NSAIDS on blood pressure and renal function,
(7) effects of NSAIDS on cardiovascular events, and
(8) considerations regarding the choice of NSAID for patients taking aspirin, or other medications.