Dr. Phyllis Zee from the Department of Neurology and Sleep Disorders Center, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL moderated the topic "The Diagnosis and Management of Narcolepsy" with Drs. James Pagel from the Department of Family Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Sleep Disorders Center of Southern Colorado, Pueblo, CO, and Michael Thorpy from Montefiore Medical Center, and Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY.
The discussion focused primarily on:
1) Diagnostic challenges in narcolepsy
2) other causes for excessive daytime sleepiness such as obstructive sleep apnea, sleep deprivation, insomnia or shift work disorder
3) the complexities associated with recognizing and diagnosing cataplexy
4) narcolepsy and effect on patient quality of life
5) psychiatric disorders and comorbidities
6) sleep studies for diagnosis
7) genetic predispositions
8) available treatments
9) the association between narcolepsy and the H1N1 vaccine in children
10) pharmacologic treatments
11) counseling patients with narcolepsy
12) referrals to sleep specialists.
Med Roundtable Gen Med Ed. 2012;1(2):96–103.