Dr. Sonia Ancoli-Israel from the University of California—San Diego, San Diego, CA moderated the topic "The Diagnosis and Management of Insomnia" with Drs. David Neubauer from Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD, James Pagel from the University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO, and Andrew Krystal from Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC.
The discussion focused primarily on:
- 1) The definition of insomnia and chronic insomnia;
- 2) diagnosing insomnia;
- 3) assessing daytime consequences of lack of sleep;
- 4) diagnosis in a primary care setting versus a sleep medicine center;
- 5) comorbid medical and psychiatric conditions, medications and circadian rhythm disorders that affect diagnosis;
- 6) pharmacologic and non pharmacologic treatments;
- 7) Newer generation pharmacologic treatments;
- 8) customizing treatment depending on a patient’s symptoms;
- 9) newer formulations of pharmacologics;
- 10) the use of antidepressants or antihistamines to treat insomnia; and
- 11) the use of cognitive behavioral therapy.
- (Med Roundtable Gen Med Ed. 2012;1(1):66–74.) ©2012 FoxP2 Media, LLC