Dr. Stuart Quan from the Division of Sleep Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA moderated the topic "The Diagnosis and Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnea" with Drs. Vishesh Kapur from the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, and Phyllis Zee from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL.
The discussion focused primarily on:
- The clinical symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) including daytime consequences;
- OSA diagnosis and prevalence;
- the use of polysomnography versus ambulatory monitoring for OSA diagnosis;
- screening tools;
- long term side effects with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP);
- the use of oral appliances;
- weight loss and sleep apnea;
- pharmacologic options; and
- surgical options.
Med Roundtable Gen Med Ed. 2014;1(3):194–201.