Dr. Thomas Giles from Tulane University School of Medicine moderated the topic "Evolving Concepts in Diabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome" with Drs. Brent Egan from the Medical University of South Carolina, Bonita Falkner from Thomas Jefferson University and Willa Hsueh from Methodist Hospital, participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) the increase in childhood Type II diabetes, management and treatment,
(2) the increase in detection of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS),
(3) pharmacologic treatment of diabetic and hypertensive patients, including DBB4 inhibitors,
(4) American Diabetes Association recommendations on hemoglobin A1c levels,
(5) the increasing awareness of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) as a complication of diabetes,
(6) the recommendations for using lipid lowering agents, and
(7) the emergence of pre-diabetes as a disease state.