Dr. Mary-Ann Fitzcharles from McGill University Health Center moderated the topic "Fibromyalgia: New Clinical Concepts" with Drs. Frederick Wolfe from the University of Kansas School of Medicine, Winfried Häuser from Technische Universität München, and Brian Walitt from the Georgetown University Medical Center participating
The discussion focused primarily on:
- The evolution and changing concepts of fibromyalgia;
- the criteria for diagnosis of fibromyalgia emphasizing the subjective nature of symptoms;
- the great variation in symptomatology among fibromyalgia patients;
- pharmacological and nonpharmacological treatment for fibromyalgia and the importance of the latter;
- the long-term outcomes for fibromyalgia patients;
- the appropriate goals and expectations of fibromyalgia treatment; and
- the societal and legal implications of the diagnosis of fibromyalgia.
Med Roundtable Gen Med Ed. 2013;2(1):e26–e33.