Dr. James Dalen from the University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ moderated the topic "Guidance Clinicians Can Give Patients for Identifying and Reducing Stress" with Drs. Jon Kabat-Zinn from UMass Medical School & UMass Memorial Health Care, Worcester, MA, Michael Krasner from University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, and Erica Sibinga from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD.
The discussion focused primarily on:
- 1) The use of meditation for the reduction of stress and improving symptom management for chronic diseases;
- 2) the use of mindfulness based-stress reduction (MBSR);
- 3) the adaptation of MBSR for children;
- 4) using MBSR as part of HIV treatment;
- 5) MBSR as an alternative to psychotropic drugs;
- 6) encouraging mindful parenting;
- 7) teaching MBSR to medical professionals;
- 8) MSBR for veterans;
- 9) the impact of meditation on the brain, the immune system and on individual cells; and
- 10) the connection between the brain, mind and the rest of the body.
- (Med Roundtable Gen Med Ed. 2012;1(1):7–16.) ©2012 FoxP2 Media, LLC