Dr. Ezra Amsterdam from the University of California Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA moderated the topic "Heart Disease in Women" with Drs. Jeffrey Borer from the Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY, and L. Kristin Newby from Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) The underdiagnosis and undertreatment of coronary heart disease in women
(2) gaps in treatment: lower use of evidence based therapies in women
(3) the underrepresentation of women in clinical trials
(4) the differences in coronary heart disease pathophysiology, symptoms and risk factors in women versus men
(5) diagnostic tests for coronary heart disease in women versus men
(6) diastolic dysfunction and the effects of hypertension in women.
(Med Roundtable Cardiovasc Ed. 2012;3(3):175–182) ©2012 FoxP2Media, LLC