Dr. Douglas Schocken from Duke University, Durham, NC moderated the topic "Heart Failure in the Euvolemic Patient with Drs. Mark Dunlap from Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, Paul Sobotka from the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, and Irving Zucker from the University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) a case of a woman presenting with decompensated HF caused by possible weight gain and salt and volume overload;
(2) causes that lead to re-hospitalization, including signs for arrhythmias, ischemia, and nonadherence to dietary or pharmacologic recommendations;
(3) what governs the movement of volume into and out of storage areas;
(4) the future development of diagnostic tests and treatments for acute decompensated HF;
(5) prevention of acute translocation of volume into effective arterial circulation.