Dr. Judith Ockene from the University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA moderated the topic "How Can We Help Our Patients Lose Weight?" with Drs. Mitchell Gitkind and Sherry Pagoto, also from the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
The discussion focused primarily on:
1) Increased rates of obesity
2) the reason for an increase in obesity
3) genetic contribution to obesity
4) environmental factors for obesity
5) physical activity and healthy eating choices
6) weight loss surgery
7) other weight loss strategies
8) the importance of modest amounts of weight loss
9) maintenance of weight loss
10) the role of the clinician
11) the role of physical activity.
Med Roundtable Gen Med Ed. 2012;1(2):104–111.