Dr. Marc Pfeffer from Brigham and Women's Hospital of Harvard University moderated the topic "Implications of EMPHASIS-HF for Clinical Practice" with Drs. Bertram Pitt from the University of Michigan and Faiez Zannad from the University of Nancy, France participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) the RALES trial,
(2) effects of combining spironolactone and ACE inhibtors on renal function,
(3) the CONSENSUS trial,
(4) US physician concern over use of spironolactone and hyperkalemia,
(5) European experience with effective spironolactone therapy,
(6) comparison btween eplerenone and spironolactone, and
(7) the findings of EMPHASIS-HF trial including considerations surrounding ending the trial early.