Dr. Marvin Moser from the Yale School of Medicine moderated the topic "The JNC 8 - What Might Be Expected?" with Drs. Jan Basile from the Medical University of South Carolina, Norman Kaplan from UT Southwestern Medical School at Dallas, and Ronald Victor from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) Joint National Committee (JNC) reports prior to the forthcoming JNC 8,
(2) progress in controlling hypertension, including special populations
(3) blood pressure goals,
(4) diagnostic evaluation of the hypertensive patient,
(5) lifestyle changes that impact blood pressure,
(6) initial therapy, including the use of beta-blockers and direct renin inhibitors, including eldery and obese populations,
(7) combination therapy,
(8) safety of ARBs and cancer, and
(9) predictions on the recommendations that might be included in the forthcoming JNC 8 report.