Dr. W. Frank Peacock from the Cleveland Clinic moderated the topic "Low Level Troponin Interpretation In The Era Of High Sensitivity Troponins" with Drs. Allan Jaffe, Mayo Clinic and Alan Wu, University of California - San Francisco participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) chemical markers of myocardial damage,
(2) educating physicians on the impact of more positive troponin results due to high sensitivity assays,
(3) value of a cardiologist consult,
(4) troponin levels as a standard for determining myocardial infarction and myocardial ischemia,
(5) clarification of terminology, cutoffs and standardization of assays,
(6) development of ultra-high sensitivity assays and impact on interpretation and therapeutic response,
(7) usefulness of alternative biomarkers such as B-type natriuretic peptide, CK-MB, myoglobin and others, including a "multimarker panel", and
(8) triage of patients in the emergency department.