Dr. Stephen Devries from the Gaples Institute for Integrative Cardiology and Northwestern University, Evanston, IL moderated the topic "The Mediterranean Diet" with Drs. Walter Willett from Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, and Linda Van Horn from Northwestern University School of Medicine, Evanston, IL.
The discussion focused primarily on:
1) A description of the Mediterranean style-diet;
2) the difference between the Mediterranean diet and DASH;
3) the Mediterranean diet for prevention of cardiovascular disease;
4) the cardioprotective effects of fruits, vegetables and whole grains;
5) reducing the consumption of red meat;
6) grass-fed versus grain-fed beef;
7) the cardioprotective role of alcohol versus the adverse effect on cancers;
8) the Mediterranean diet and weight;
9) the role of health care professionals in counseling patients on nutrition.