Dr. John Elefteriades from Yale University moderated the topic "Mitral Valve Surgery and Mitral Prolapse" with Drs. David Adams from Mt. Sinai Medical Center, Sabet Hashim from Yale University, and Maurice Sarano from the Mayo Clinic participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) diagnosis and assessment of different aspects of mitral insufficiency, including echocardiolography techniques, clinical assessment and cardiac remodeling,
(2) the use of the PISA method of measurement,
(3) regurgitant volume markers,
(4) evolution of mitral valve repair surgical techniques, including the Carpentier techniques,
(5) response of the left ventricle to mitral repairs vs. replacements,
(6) the relationship between cardiologist and surgeon,
(7) the role of the robot in mitral regurgitation, and
(8) transformative developments that will dramatically change the field.