Dr. Andrew Boyle from Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center, Milwaukee moderated the topic "New Left Ventricular Assist Devices for Bridge to Transplantation and Destination Therapy: Patient Selection and Outcome" with Drs. Shashank Desai from Inova Fairfax, Christopher Salerno from The St. Vincent's Heart Center of Indiana, and Jeffrey Teuteberg from the University of Pittsburgh participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) The historical use of left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) for mechanical circulatory support in end stage heart failure patients;
(2) the advantage of the newer devices;
(3) complications that can arise from LVADs;
(4) patient selection for LVADs;
(5) the use of LVADs as bridge-to-transplant therapy or destination therapy; and