Dr. Jack Ansell from the New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, and Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, NY moderated the topic "New Oral Anticoagulants" with Drs. David Garcia from the University of New Mexico Cancer Center, Albuquerque, NM, and Ken Mahaffey from Duke Clinical Research Institute, Durham, NC.
The discussion focused primarily on:
1) New classes of oral anticoagulants
2) target specific anticoagulants
3) pharmacokinetic parameters for new oral anticoagulants
4) differences between new anticoagulants and warfarin
5) efficacy and safety on clinical trials
6) clinical trials focused on treatment: venous thromboembolism trials
7) potential concerns of the new anticoagulants
8) patients that are candidates for the new target-specific anticoagulants.
Med Roundtable Gen Med Ed. 2012;1(2):88–95.