Dr. Philip Liebson from Rush Medical College moderated the topic "Novel Risk Factors for Coronary Artery Disease Prevention: Fact or Fiction?" with Drs. Ezra Amsterdam from the University of California, Davis and JoAnne Foody from Harvard Medical School participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) classic cardiovascular risk factors and Framingham risk score,
(2) definition of risk factors vs. risk markers,
(3) novel risk markers such as hs-CRP, coronary calcium scores, Lp(a), Carotid IMT, Ankle Brachial Index, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, Computed Tomography Coronary Angiography and PAI-1,
(4) explaining the C statistic,
(5) the incremental value of the tests compared to the costs,