Dr. Eric Gall from the University of Arizona Arthritis Center moderated the topic "Osteoarthritis: Coping Guidelines for the Elderly" with Drs. Joel Block from Rush University Medical Center, and Roland Moskowitz from University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH.
The discussion focused primarily on:
- The current woking definition of osteoarthritis (OA);
- the burden of the disease in the United States and worldwide;
- OA and the presence of pain;
- radiographic evidence;
- the pathophysiology, onset, and progression;
- the manifestations of OA in different areas of the body;
- clinical and radiographic diagnosis;
- the differentiation of OA from rheumatoid arthritis;
- prevention and disease management;
- the role of weight loss and exercise;
- alternative forms of treatment;
- pain management and disease management strategies;
- the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk management;
- the use of intra-articular steroids;
- considerations for surgical intervention; and
- the use of disease-modifying drugs and cartilage regeneration.
Med Roundtable Gen Med Ed. 2014;1(4):270–279.