Dr. Charles Butrick from the Urogynecology Center, Overland Park, KS moderated the topic "Overactive Bladder: Evaluation and Diagnosis" with Drs. Linda Cardozo from King's College Hospital and Peter Sand from the Evanston Continence Center, Chicago, IL.
The discussion focused primarily on:
- The definition, prevalence, and symptoms of overactive bladder (OAB) syndrome;
- the risk factors for and comorbidities associated with OAB;
- the importance of the differential diagnosis of OAB;
- combined use of behavioral modification and medication or a combination of medications as first-line therapy;
- pharmacological treatment of OAB, focusing on antimuscarinic medications, and its outcomes;
- treatment of patients with mixed symptoms and/or nocturia;
- the importance of ensuring patient compliance; and
- second-line and emerging therapies for patients who fail to respond.
Med Roundtable Gen Med Ed. 2014;1(3):212–221.