Dr. Daniel Lackland from the Medical University of South Carolina moderated the topic "Practice Guidelines in Cardiovascular Disease: How Defining the Evidence Can Impact the Guidelines" with Drs. William Cushman from the University of Tennessee College of Medicine, and Stanley S. Franklin from the University of California, Irvine, participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) global risk assessment for cardiovascular disease,
(2) limitations on global risk assessment
(3) the role of observational data in extrapolating from clinical trials and treatment decisions,
(4) the role of clinical trial evidence and application to specific patient populations,
(5) evidence and clinical feelings that may justify treating prehypertensive patients,
(6) risk assessment data for initiating aspirin therapy, and