Dr. Josep Rodés-Cabau from Quebec Heart and Lung Institute moderated the topic "Present and Future Challenges in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement," with Drs. Susheel Kodali from the Columbia University Medical Center and Gian Paolo Ussia from the University of Catania participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) as an alternative to surgical aortic valve replacement,
(2) the se of the balloon-expandable Edwards valve and the self-expandable CoreValve in TAVR,
(3) patient selection, procedural aspects, complications, results, alve hemodynamics and patient follow up for TAVR,
(4) the transfemoral versus transapical and subclavian approaches for TAVR,
(5) the use of general aesthesia and echo-guidance, and