Dr. James Galvin from the New York University Langone Medical Center, New York, NY moderated the topic "Screen and Intervene: The Importance of Early Detection and Treatment of Alzheimer's Disease" with Drs. Gregory Jicha from the University of Kentucky Alzheimer’s Disease Center, Lexington, KY, Monica Willis Parker from Emory University’s Wesley Woods Geriatric Center, Atlanta, GA, and Pierre Tariot from Banner Alzheimer’s Institute, Phoenix, AZ.
The discussion focused primarily on:
- 1) The role of the primary care provider in diagnosing Alzheimer’s disease;
- 2) the importance of screening;
- 3) the challenges in diagnosis;
- 4) the role of Alzheimer’s disease centers;
- 5) the clinical symptomatology of Alzheimer’s disease;
- 6) mood changes and Alzheimer’s disease;
- 7) the new revised diagnostic criteria for Alzheimer’s disease;
- 8) the role of biomarkers.
- (Med Roundtable Gen Med Ed. 2012;1(1):50–58.) ©2012 FoxP2 Media, LLC