Dr. Prakash Deedwania from the VA Central California Healthcare System and USCF school of medicine San Francisco, CA moderated the topic "Should an Aldosterone Blocker Be Added to an ACE Inhibitor and Beta Blocker in Heart Failure?"with Drs. Bertram Pitt from the University of Michigan Division of Cardiology and Faiez Zannad from the University of Nancy in France participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) aldosterone receptor blockade and effects on mortality and arrythmias,
(2) mechanisms affected by aldosterone, including, fibrosis, collagen, nervous system and potassium
(3) collagen as a biomarker,
(4) cardiac remodeling,
(5) protecting against hyperkalemia, hypokalemia, and hypomagnesemia,
(6) pleiotropic effects of anti-aldosterone therapy,
(7) the impact of renal insufficiency on treatment considerations,
(8) treatment therapy and adverse effects,
(9) European guidelines,
(10) role of aldosterone blockade in diastolic heart failure, and
(11) prevention of fibrosis through early intervention.