Dr. Barry Massie from the University of California, San Francisco moderated the topic "State-of-the-Art Management of Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction" with Drs. Sanjiv J. Shah from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, and Michael Zile from the Medical University of South Carolina and the RHJ Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
- The clinical characteristics of patients with heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (HFpEF);
- the diagnostic criteria for and prevalence of HFpEF;
- the morbidity and mortality of HFpEF patients;
- the epidemiology and pathophysiology of HFpEF;
- the different subgroups of HFpEF patients;
- the comorbidities implicated as causes of HFpEF and their prevalence;
- the findings of clinical trials regarding treatments for HFpEF; and
- guidelines for the treatment of HFpEF.
(Med Roundtable Cardiovasc. Ed. 2014;4(1):e32–e44) ©2014 FoxP2Media, LLC