Dr. Peter Toth from the CGH Medical Center, Sterling IL moderated the topic "Is There a Role for Fibrate Therapy in the Management of Dyslipidemia?" with Drs. Marshall Elam from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN, Sergio Fazio, from the Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, and Steven Jones from the The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease, Baltimore, MD.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) The role of fibrate therapy in the management of dyslipidemia in diabetic patients
(2) triglycerides and coronary heart disease
(3) the role of fibrates in triglyceride and high-density lipoprotein management
(4) the results from the FIELD and ACCORD trials
(5) additional clinical trials using fibrates.
(Med Roundtable Cardiovasc Ed. 2012;3(3):157–163) ©2012 FoxP2