Dr. David Adams from the Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY moderated the topic "Update on Decision-Making in Degenerative Mitral Valve Disease" with Drs. Robert Bonow from Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, Blase Carabello from the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, TX, and Randolph Martin from Piedmont Heart Institute, Atlanta, GA.
- The discussion focused primarily on:
- (1) Guidelines for mitral valve disease management;
- (2) mitral valve surgery in patients with mitral regurgitation;
- (3) mitral surgery in asymptomatic patients;
- (4) the use of imaging and exercise testing in mitral valve disease;
- (5) raising awareness for regional reference centers for mitral valve surgery;
- (Med Roundtable Cardiovasc Ed. 2011;2(3):181-189) ©2012 FoxP2 Media, LLC