Dr. John Kostis from the UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School moderated the topic "The Use of Diuretics in the Treatment of Hypertension" with Drs. Kenneth Jamerson from the University of Michigan and Marvin Moser from Yale University participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) The use of diuretics as monotherapy and in combination therapies;
(2) heath-care costs of diuretics compared to other anti-hypertensive therapies;
(3) the use of diuretics compared to other anti-hypertensive drugs;
(4) JNC-7 and diuretics;
(5) the use of diuretics in diabetic patients;
(6) the differences between diuretic compounds; and
(7) the use of diuretics in certain patient subgroups.