Paul Thompson from Hartford Hospital moderated the topic "What Is the Role of Cholesterol Absorption Inhibitors in Current Lipid Management?" with Drs. Robert S. Rosenson from the Mount Sinai School of Medicine and Allen Taylor from the Washington Hospital Center and MedStar Health Research Institute participating.
The discussion focused primarily on:
(1) current practice guidelines and the role of ezetimibe,
(2) alternative therapies for lowering LDL cholesterol,
(3) the ARBITER 6 and SHARP studies,
(4) treatment therapy for patients not at goal on a statin,
(5) the use of resins and niacin in lowering LDL colesterol,
(6) the niche situations where ezetimibe could be effective, and
(7) debate over various alternative agents, including tertiary effects, price and effectiveness.